Monday, January 14, 2013

Diagnosis Day Through the Years

April 28, 1995
Age: 25
Marital Status: Single
Children: Huh?
Location: Post Op Ward of Regional Hospital
Mood: Anesthesia Haze
Reaction: Confusion
Result:  Total Remission.  Cancer will change the direction of my career, the quality of my relationships, and strengthen my ability to cope with adversity.  The story is of someone far too young being diagnoses with an agressive cancer who relied on family and friends to get through each day.

November, 13, 2003
Age: 33
Marital Status: Married <1 year
Children: Twins, 5 weeks old
Location: Living Room, Apartment from Hell™
Mood: Postpartum Fatigue
Reaction: No time for that--time to feed someone...
Result: Total Remission.  Cancer will turn the postpartum twin haze on its side and introduce a new type of exhaustion, will test and strengthen our family life, and will be a bump in the road that we roll past as quickly as possible.  Not a lot of people even know I have cancer because I don't want to draw attention to myself and away from my little ones.  The story should be about the new beautiful family, not about the tragedy of a cancer diagnosis just as my dreams had come true.

January 4, 2013
Age: 42
Marital Status: Married 9.5 years
Children: Twins, 9 years old
Location: Surgeon's Office, Post Op Appointment
Mood: Hopeful
Reaction: Are You Freaking Kidding Me?
Result-To-Be: Total Remission.  My cancer battle will once again change my life and that of my family and friends.  Our focus will be on health, mutual support, laughter, and humor.  The story will be lived out loud, and will be one of turning fear into glee and weakness into strength.  Instead of hiding behind fear, I will allow my journey to bring out the best in everyone around me.

2 comments:

  1. Please, you WERE a child when you were diagnosed with cancer the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration and I'm so proud and blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete